Rules of the Japanese Society of Phycology
- ARTICLE I. NAME:
The name of this society shall be The Japanese Society of Phycology.
- ARTICLE II. PURPOSE:
The purpose of The Japanese Society of Phycology (hereinafter referred to as “The Society”) shall be to promote the advancement and dissemination of Phycology and to encourage mutual friendship among the members of The Society.
- ARTICLE III. BUSINESS:
In order to fulfill the above purposes, The Society shall:
- 1. have a General Meeting annually,
2. organize workshops, symposia, field trips, etc. with phycological interests,
3. publish periodical journals,
4. honor those individuals (or groups) who contributed significantly to the progress of phycology,
5. and perform other businesses that are considered to be beneficial for fulfilling the purposes of The Society.
ARTICLE IV. PLACE OF OFFICE:
The office of The Society shall be set up at the place where the President of The Society thinks it be appropriate.
- ARTICLE V. FISCAL YEAR:
The fiscal year shall coincide with the calendar year (January 1 to December 31).
- ARTICLE VI. MEMBERSHIP:
The Membership shall consist of the following five categories:
- 1. Domestic Regular Member: A person who is interested in phycology, supports the aim of The Society, and is living in Japan.
2. Foreign Regular Member: A person who is interested in phycology, supports the aim of The Society, and is living in a foreign country.
3. Group Member: A group that supports the aim of The Society.
4. Honorary Member: A person who has made a significant contribution to Phycology and The Society.
5. Patron Member: An individual, an institution or an organization wishing to support the aim of The Society and make a patronage determined by Article VIII Section 1.
ARTICLE VII. APPLICATION OF MEMBERSHIP:
Those who wishes to join The Society shall be admitted by completing an application form, with the applicant’s name, address and occupation, and sending it to the President of The Society.
- ARTICLE VIII. ANNUAL DUES AND DONATION:
- Section 1. Annual due for a domestic regular member shall be 8,000 JPY (5,000 JPY
for a student) which must be paid by the beginning of the fiscal year.
Annual due for a foreign regular member shall be 7,000 JPY (5,000 JPY for
a student). A foreign student who is approved by the President shall be
able to prepay annual student dues for ten years when he or she leaves
Japan. Annual due for a group member shall be 20,000 JPY. The annual due
for a patron member shall be 30,000 JPY. Honorary members, including Honorary
President determined in the next Article (Article IX), are not required
to pay annual dues.
Section 2. An individual or a group that supports the aim of The Society shall be able to make a donation or endow an article to The Society. The use of the donated money and the articles shall be decided by the Council determined in Article XI.
ARTICLE IX. OFFICERS:
The officers of The Society shall be a President, Secretaries, Trustees and two Auditors. The officers shall serve terms of two years and be able to be reappointed, however, the President and Trustees shall not serve more than two terms. The rules of elections are provided in Articles I to IV of the Bylaws. An Honorary President may be appointed by The Society.
- ARTICLES X. DUTIES OF THE PRESIDENT, SECRETARIES AND AUDITORS:
The President shall represent The Society and unify all businesses of The Society. The Secretaries shall carry out general businesses in accordance with the President’s decisions. The Auditors shall audit the last fiscal year’s assets and settlement. If a duty requires a decision, the general meeting shall make the decision.
- ARTICLE XI. COUNCIL:
A Council will be comprised of the Trustees. The Council shall be consulted by the President about the businesses of The Society. The Council meetings shall be called by the President or held in writing.
- ARTICLE XII. PUBLICATIONS:
- Section 1. The Society shall publish two periodical journals: the Phycological Research
and the Japanese Journal of Phycology (Sôrui). Four issues of Phycological
Reserch and three issues of the Japanese Journal of Phycology (Sôrui) will
be published each year. These journals will be distributed to the members
of The Society at no extra charge.
Section 2. An Editorial Board will editi and publish each journal.
Section 3. The constitution and management of the Editorial Board shall be prescribed according to the Bylaws established separately.
An additional clause: The Foreign Regular Members will only receive copies of Phycological Research.
An additional clause: The Foreign Regular Members who wish to receive the Japanese Journal of Phycology (Sôrui) will be charged for its delivery.
- ARTICLE I. ELECTION OF PRESIDENT AND NOMINATION OF SECRETARIES AND AUDITORS:
A President will be elected from Domestic Regular Members by voting of all members (the Council may nominate a few candidates for President before the election for reference). Secretaries shall be appointed at the President’s requests. Auditors shall be selected from society members after consultation by the Council and approval at a subsequent General Meeting.
- ARTICLE II. ELECTION OF TRUSTEES:
- Section 1. Trustees shall be elected from each regional section by voting of members
in the section. Each regional section shall have at least one regular Trustee,
and if a regional section has more than 50 members, one regular Trustee
shall be added to the section for every 50 members.
Section 2. There shall be the following nine regional sections: Hokkaido, Tohoku, Kanto, Tokyo, Chubu (including Mie Prefecture), Kinki, Chugoku-Shikoku, Kyushu (including Okinawa), and Outside of Japan.
ARTICLE III. PROHIBITION:
A President, Secretary or Auditor can not hold concurrently the post of Trustee.
- ARTICLE IV. FILL-IN OF AN ELECTED OFFICER:
When the post of President or Trustees become vacant, the top losing candidate in the latest election shall fill the vacancy during the remaining term of the predecessor.
- ARTICLE V. BACK NUMBERS OF THE JAPANESE JOURNAL OF PHYCOLOGY (SÔRUI):
Back numbers of the Japanese Journal of Phycology (Sôrui) shall be sold at the cost of 1,750 JPY for one copy. Subscription fee of the Japanese Journal of Phycology (Sôrui) for a Non Member shall be 3,000 JPY for each issue.
- ARTICLE VI. ENFORCEMENT:
This revision of the Rules of the Japanese Society of Phycology will take effect on January 1st, 2006.
Copyright © 2016- Japanese Society of Phycology All Rights Reserved.